KeBul wrote:
> It's because UE Smart Radios were shipped with a battery - the
> additional circuitry allows for the battery to be "disconnected" in
> storage/transit prior to first use by a pull out plastic tab that sits
> between contacts in the battery door. (Credit Michael H who pointed this
> out in another thread)
>
> SB Radios were not shipped with batteries so didn't have this.
>
> Kev
>
> Edit: Found it in the manual:
>
> 36436
>
> Edit2:
>
> Re: your actual problem - I while back purchased a secondhand UE Smart
> Radio that had no sound from the speakers, but the headphone socket did
> work. I cannot remember if that was on mains or battery, it could have
> been either (or more likely both). I took it back and the seller
> replaced it with another unit for me, but then they contacted me a
> couple of days later asking if I wanted to buy the now working original
> one... Apparently, it was dirty contacts on the headphone socket, their
> repair man sprayed switch cleaner into the socket and worked a headphone
> plug in and out of the socket and the speakers started working when the
> headphones socket wasn't being used.
> Logic tells me that mains power or battery power shouldn't affect this
> as a fault, but possibly worth a try - at the most it will cost you a
> small can of switch cleaner if you haven't got any.

I have tried both SB and UE versions with the same issue. So I guess it
somewhere a hardware problem.  If it's the headphone socket I dont know
but I have sprayed it with no positive result yet. Its quite annoying
and I am considering opening up the unit and seeing if I can force the
unit to "speak"er up.