I had one other thought, just something to try -

we know that the headphone jack has a switch that detects the presence
of a headphone plug. Plug in -> turn speaker off/switch audio to
headphone. If this doesn't work, cleaning or repairing might solve this
switching.

But in M8G's case, this switching works while on line power, but does
not work on battery power, so it can't be just this switch.

What if there is a similar switch on the power plug? What if there is a
switch that senses the lines plug that causes a different behavior,
which might explain what is being observed?

M8G - maybe try having the radio line power plugged in, but unplugged
from the wall. This might (should?) cause the radio to play on battery
power but thinking it's on line power? My thinking is, if it plays
through the speaker, but then you unplug the disconnected line plug from
the radio and it stops playing out the speakers, maybe it's a switch on
this plug.

I know it's a real stretch, but maybe this might tell you something. If
it seems hopeful, maybe clean the power receptacle with deoxit or
similar.

Jim