SV:

A few years back someone made a shifter that attached to the handlebars &
IIRC it looked like a wing nut.  Can't recall who had them (maybe Riv?) but
maybe this will jog a better memory than mine.

I've tried thumbies on the tops.  It's a cheap experiment.  It didn't work
for me but there are others who are very happy with that set-up.  They're
close at hand yet out of the way as far as bumping them with your knees.
Give it a go.

dougP

Is there a good location for non-brifters if you're on the hoods most
of the time? I've found DT shifters are a bit of a stretch for me and
bar ends are okay, but kind of an odd movement from the drops. I've
actually though about the thumbies mounted on the flats but that seems
like a weird motion too.

The most comfortable for bar ends is the albatross bars b/c your hands
and the shifters are right there next to each other all the time.

Is there another location or type of shift lever to try out?

-sv