If you are talking the mountain bike Trek 850 I have one and I did
this and its simply the best riding bike I have. I converted it using
a solid, chrome moly, oversized tubed fork made for front suspension
bikes. I used a B66 and albatross bars/cork grips along with some
fenders and 1.5 inch tires. I love it........it climbs easy with
44x32x22 &11-28 gearing plus tires and wheel sets are cheap in 26
inch. The frame on mine is light and stiff and it handles good enough
after you get used to it.