That sounds exactly like what I'm thinking Charlie, although I will
keep the original fork, and swap only the bars/stem and saddle +
fenders. It's a relatively tall frame at a full 24" CtoC. Standover
height with 1.5 tires seems to be just right. I'll add some pics to
Flickr when I'm done playing around, but here's the bike in it's
original state:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32306...@n07/sets/72157615116858932/

I know it's not a Rivendell, but it's bikes like these that inspired
some of what they do today, so that kinda counts.