Catie turned 8 on June 8th. I had promised her a new bike if she finally
learned to ride her Electra Little Betty sans training wheels -- Catie is
intellectually and artistically precocious but somewhat retrograde in her
gross motor skills: tall and klutzy, as I was as a boy (but a lot prettier).
She put her mind to it and did so, so I bought her this:
http://www.rei.com/product/781229

Hers is the 24" wheel model: 3 speed coaster brake hub, aluminum frame and
parts -- lighter by far than the Little Betty and even lighter compared to
the Magna/Raleigh 16" wheel bike her mother bought her, which weighs close
to what my Monocog 29er weighs. The townie is not a bad bike, though it
comes only in pink, which is *so* six year old.

Catie started out with a Radio Flyer trike with freewheel and optional
remote parent steering, then I bought her a little 12" wheel bike, then a
16" wheel bike while her mother bought her the Raleigh-so-called. The the
Little Betty at five, and now the Townie. Quite a collection for someone whe
didn't leave the training wheels behind until a month ago.