They are interupter brakes like many cyclocross bike set ups. Most of
the kids road bikes are equipped this way from Trek, Specialized,
Felt, and Argon16. The Trek and Specialized kids road bikes just
stopped production. Felt and Argon are still available. I purchased my
daughters Trek on Ebay for close to 300. like new. So they are out
there.

She loves her road bike. The picture is from this past winters
Stagecoach Century where she did the 26 mile loop. She's 8.

Gary