This bike has canti brakes and a bottom threaded seat stay bridge, you
can kind of see it in the last picture in this set:
http://gallery.me.com/mhechmer#100029

Since the crack is still quite small I have been thinking along the
lines that John suggested, using either a small steel bracket on
either side  of the hole, or perhaps cutting a section out of the
original fender.  In either case I'll try Gorilla glue to avoid making
any additional holes in the fender.

My daughter is getting married on Saturday, so this might not happen
right away.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Michael