Oh, this is a challenge!  You are lucky that you are dealing with an
eleven year old as the options are much better.  I have an 8 year old
and could not find a road bike to fit his 52" height.  I got him a
Fuji "dynamite" and replaced the knobby tires with schwab marathon
ones.  No comfort issues.  This is a 14 speed bike that replaced a
Trek MT 60 6 speed.   He has to work 3 times as hard when I bring him
on club rides because his bike weighs about twice as mine.  In other
words, his bike weighs around 32 lbs and he weighs around 42 pounds
(yes, he is skinny).

I think you have to approach fit issues as if he were an adult.  It is
a plus that he is sensitive and aware enough to give you relevant
feedback.

Don't ask me what I had to go through to get my Tandem to fit!

Cheers!
Chris