On Jun 30, 11:00 am, JoelMatthews <joelmatth...@mac.com> wrote:
> > Finally, I do agree that mfrs want customers loyalty. There going to
> > design their components to work seamlessly. The fact that its
> > incompatible with another mfr's system is probably not a
> > consideration. Good Luck!
>
> In the good old days of friction shifting, manufacturers won customer
> loyalty by trying to make ders, shifters and freewheels that looked
> and worked better than the competition.  The consumer enjoyed the
> ability to mix and match according to personal need, budget and
> aesthetics.

Welcome to the 21st Century!  Hey, I ran friction shifting for years.
In fact, I was the last guy to convert over to ergo in my group. I was
running a 9 spd set up with Simplex friction shifters!  Today, you
rarely see anyone with dt or even bar-ends and I bet many of those are
indexed. Probably 90% of bikes sold today in the US have some sort of
STI shifter. Shimano dominates and that's it!

> Now the big two make proprietary systems which limit the consumers'
> ability to make the bike as they want.
> I guess in one sense you could call this progress.  I really wonder
> for whom.

Doesn't matter. As long as Shimano dominates, we going to get what
they want you to get. Even with Sram coming out with its group, which
btw is Shimano-compatible, you're still have basically proprietary
systems. That's the way things work. Friction is not coming back. Hey,
that ship has left, its like trying  get people to use 650b
wheels:)......Good Luck with that!