Thanks for all the notes!  I'm inspired the by the idea that maybe
brakes (Weinmann calipers) don't matter that much at this point in the
game (as a super slow speed beginning just learning how to get on and
off the bike at a canter).  Since I'm mainly trying this out for fun,
I'm not really worried about ground speed.  I brought my old trek 420
to class lass night but was pretty spooked by the gravel track on my
25c contis!  So, I'm opting to try some cheap-y nashbar cross tires on
the Trek before I fully commit to converting the Riv over to cross
duties (especially since it seems easier to locate 700c over 650b
cross tires).    The Riv does have nice Pauls centerpulls but I'll
have to do a lot of renovations (remove honjos, convert from downtube
to bar-ends, remove rack, etc) to get it up to speed for this
project.

LL