I have some Specialized Tri-Cross tires and love 'em.  True 35mm as I
remember.  Wish I knew about the blow out sale!

DE

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Angus <angusle...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Lesli,
>
> I ran several seasons of cyclocross on 700x35 Specialized Tri-Cross
> tires that I bought from Nashbar at $1.99 each.  Worked great...still
> have a couple left.
> I ran several races on 700x38 Ritchey cross tires that a freind gave
> me.  Worked great...still have a couple left.
> I ran several races on 700x28 Michelin cross tires and thought my
> teeth were going to be rattled out!  I don't miss those tires...at
> all.
>
> One down side to cross tires is when you are on the road and forget
> you are riding on knobby tires and inadvertently corner really
> hard....
>
> If it get's muddy...clearance is everything.
>
> I'm with Jim on the brakes, I ran a really crummy brake set up one
> season and never noticed it during a race.   The next season I ran a
> really good brake set up (Mafacs)...and never noticed it during a
> race.  There are enough bumps and grass and other stuff to slow you
> down...the brakes don't seem to have a whole lot left to do.
>
> Angus
>
> On Sep 3, 4:55 pm, Lesli <lesli.lar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for all the notes!  I'm inspired the by the idea that maybe
> > brakes (Weinmann calipers) don't matter that much at this point in the
> > game (as a super slow speed beginning just learning how to get on and
> > off the bike at a canter).  Since I'm mainly trying this out for fun,
> > I'm not really worried about ground speed.  I brought my old trek 420
> > to class lass night but was pretty spooked by the gravel track on my
> > 25c contis!  So, I'm opting to try some cheap-y nashbar cross tires on
> > the Trek before I fully commit to converting the Riv over to cross
> > duties (especially since it seems easier to locate 700c over 650b
> > cross tires).    The Riv does have nice Pauls centerpulls but I'll
> > have to do a lot of renovations (remove honjos, convert from downtube
> > to bar-ends, remove rack, etc) to get it up to speed for this
> > project.
> >
> > LL

> if

> way
> >
> > > I raced my first season returning to cyclocross on my Redwood, so i'd
> > > guess that your Road should work pretty well too. My only caveats
> > > would be whether you can get any kind of knobby tire in there (i don't
> > > know the Road's clearance), and your chances of success will be much
> > > greater if it's not super muddy. On my Redwood i could get a 35c
> > > 'cross tire in with no problem. No fenders, of course. There are
> > > people who race with centerpulls on old frames around here and they do
> > > fine, but i think in general our 'cross season isn't nearly as muddy
> > > as around Oregon.
> >
> > > I highly recommend a single chainring setup if you're racing with
> > > gears. I switched to singlespeed last year, but before that i used a
> > > 1x8, and it was plenty of gear range. I really only used about 3 of
> [...]

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye,
scientist guy