Deacon says:
"It seems to me the fatbike window of ridable snow isn't too much
larger than my Hunqapillars for all practical purposes."

I suspect the fatbike is way better than a Hunq with 2.25" tires on
icy, crusty snow such as might be found after refreezing. One thing I
can say about my Krampus is the traction is amazing, and a fatbike is
going to have even better traction.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Deacon Patrick <lamontg...@mac.com> wrote:
> I can make it through 6" of fresh powder on my Hunqapillar with my 2.25"
> smart sams. It's when it's deeper that it's challenging. It seems to me the
> fatbike window of ridable snow isn't too much larger than my Hunqapillars
> for all practical purposes. I've been in snowshoes in fresh powder up to my
> navel trying to go uphill. That didn't work so well. Grin.
>
> With abandon,
> Patrick
>

> On Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:32:29 PM UTC-6, Patrick Moore wrote:
>>
>> Still, 700C tires fatter than 50 mm and run at sub 30 psi, especially if
>> the tires push wider than 60 and lower than 20, really are better in sand up
>> to 3" than the typical 26" mtb tire of not quite 2" and run at 50 psi as so
>> many of them seem to be.
>>
>> I've read that in real snow -- newly fallen, 6" stuff -- even the fat
>> bikes can't make it through.

-- Anne Paulson

It isn't a contest. Enjoy the ride.