Patrick,

I hope you were able to get out for a ride today, and that you had a
wonderful time.

I posted in response to another posters suggestion to search for "berto
tire pressure".

Doing so should turn up:
http://www.bccclub.org/documents/Tireinflation.pdf. That article, or an
earlier version of it which was published in Bicycling, seems to be the
primary source for most, if not all, of the graphs, spreadsheets and apps
dealing with tire pressure as a function of load and tire width that are
all over over the internet and comprise a lot of what a google search for
"berto tire pressure" turns up.

In that article the author (Frank Berto) describes/defines tire drop, and
asserts that "... the optimum inflation pressure for comfort and rolling
resistance produces a Tire Drop of about 15% of W (the section width) ...".
The paper also presents graphs, derived from experiments with a variety of
tires, that give tire pressure to produce 15% drop for various tire widths
over a range of loads. It is those graphs that have been so widely embraced
and repackaged.

The paper does not describe or cite any testing or test results that
support the assertion that optimal tire pressure results in 15% tire drop
(and by inference vice versa). However, I suspect that there is or was some
experimental basis for that assertion.

The knowledge of the group being greater than mine, I think it is
reasonable for me to inquire if anybody knows what Frank Berto's assertion
about 15% tire drop being optimal is based on, and can point to some
documentation of that basis. Also though I didn't state it well before, and
probably still haven't, I think the question is perfectly logical.

thnks
Ted
p.s. Berto's paper also states that "... Jan Heine thinks that inflation
pressure is of relatively little importance" and that the author (Berto)
disagrees. I am fairly certain Jan's work is not where the 15% drop is
optimal thing comes from.