My initial comments about my Heron Road generated a good bit of discussion
about the perceived wonderfulness of a specific tube, which has been
interesting and informative, but possibly misses a salient fact about said
bicycle: I've owned several Grant-designed bikes, and they all have an
hard-to-describe-if-you-haven't-experienced-it ability to float comfortably
down the road; hold a stable line in a turn; yet snap into a different
direction on a whim. I've ridden enough other bikes in 25 years to know
this is not an universal quality in frame design, which is one of the
things that makes Rivendells (and Riv-designed Herons) special. Of course
the tubes chosen for each model/size are part of the equation, but I
suspect the geometries they are placed into make more of a difference in
the ride/handling than the specific properties of the tube themselves. This
would be my guess, at any rate.

Joe "I can follow the path, I can read the signs. Stay right with it when
the road unwinds" Bernard
Vallejo, CA