Replying to this now that I'm back from the Moot, and I have to agree with
Peter. I've ridden from the Sacramento area to Napa several times. It's not
terrible, but I wouldn't voluntarily schedule a two day tour with that as
one of the days. It will be hot, flat and windy.

One can spend two happy days touring in Marin and Sonoma. One can spend two
happy days touring in the Santa Cruz mountains south of San Francisco.
Either of those would be my pick over riding from Sacramento to San
Francisco. If I were in Sacramento with a bike loaded with touring gear and
two days to tour, the first thing I'd do would be to hop on the train to
San Jose. Roll on/roll off bike service!

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM, 'pb' via RBW Owners Bunch <
rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Otto,
>
> For what it's worth -- Sacramento itself is a worthwhile destination, but
> riding from Sac to San Francisco would not be at the top of my list if I
> were a visitor.  Sacramento is in a very flat river valley, it will be
> quite hot, and I don't consider that area particularly scenic.
>
> On the other hand, western Marin County and western Sonoma County hold
> some of the most beautiful riding in the US, including the last 33% of
> Eric's route.  If you would like further thoughts, please let me know.
>
> ~Peter

-- Anne Paulson

It isn't a contest. Enjoy the ride.