To comment on Tim's comments

> That's a nuisance, especially if you have put the buckles inside the
> bag to snug it up against the saddle.  You have to open the bag, move
> the contents out of the way, do gymnastics to see or blindly undo the
> buckles by feel, drag the slightly oversized straps through the slots
> in the saddle, etc., etc.  If you're going to be removing and
> installing the bag a few times a day, some sort of QR system is helpful.

The straps are a bit oversized for the holes in the bag at first, but
they quickly soften up making it simple to get the straps through. For
me QR mechanisms just add a complication. With a little bit of
practice and the bag can be opened and the inside buckles undone
quickly, not as fast as with a QR mechanism, but I don't mind taking
20 secs out of my day to do this. My routine is to open the saddlebag,
take out my lock and lock the bike up, then remove the bag.

Even if you do use a QR mechanism the buckles should still be done up
on the inside of the bag. I believe that many of the reported issues
with saddlebag sway are due to improper mounting.

> I don't like the Bagman, the Carradice SQR, etc.  They look like
> designs asking to fail at some point due to the long lever with teh
> weight of the bag at the far end.  And they just look kludgy to my
> eyes.

I agree about the way the QR systems look, but the regular Bagman puts
the saddelbag very close to the saddle and cannot even be seen when
the bag is mounted. The lever arm is not large at all. There is a long
vertical section, but that obviously doesn't contribute to the moment.
I can see an argument being made about the gauge of the rod used in
its construction, but it's only supposed to carry 20lbs and I've found
it to be just right for the Nelson Longflap.