I'm talking about replacing the stock for on a LHT with the same exact fork
with a longer steerer, if aging or injury (or whatever) makes it desirable
to have higher bars. Upgrading to a more magical fork is another matter.
Robert Pirsig had a famous book about a guy who drove himself insane trying
to define "quality", so I won't try to argue whether or not a Surly fork is
of the same quality as a Nitto stem.

Interesting point about disposability. To an extent, you are right. This
doesn't mean you're likely to wear out your LHT anytime soon, but let's say
you wreck it somehow. No problem, for $400ish, you can get another one just
like it tomorrow. For more precious frames, like your Longstaff or most
Rivs, replacement will be more costly in terms of time and money.