I would second Mojo's recommendation of Sporthill XC pants.  The
fabric is a very good compromise of wicking, wind resistance, and
breathability.  I have an over 10 year old pair that has been heavily
used and hasn't worn out yet.  An approach for blocking windchill
without excessive condensation is using base or insulating layers with
a windblock fabric on the front only.  Craft makes base layer tops and
bottoms this way.  Shops that have cross country gear are good places
to look for winter gear and often, in northern Wisconsin where I live
as well as UP Michigan, these are also bike shops.  For wool loving
traditionalists, I have recently discovered Kühl, who make technical
blends of wool and fleece and an acrylic/polyester blend top that I
have that looks very much like boiled wool. -Pete