My new favorite single first aid kit item:
http://www.target.com/p/adventure-medical-kits-quikclot-sport-50-g/-/A-13945480?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=13945480&CPNG=Health+Beauty&kpid=13945480&LID=17pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13945480&kpid=13945480&gclid=CKaIrNiluMECFbPm7AodYi0A8g

This is a wound care game changer, once limited to military and medical
use, now in public sale forms. Lots of brands and forms out there. Stop
nasty wounds' bleeding before the loss is concerning, not a substitute for
sutures. Just because you checked off "stop the bleeding" doesn't mean the
chores are over.

For the rides beyond the commute and range of rapid higher level care
arrival:

Bleeding stopped, but now you're looking at a wound (particularly cuts)
that requires more work, but you need to stabilize it for transport, or
dare say to ride out as is:
http://www.nexcare.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NANexcare/Nexcare/ProductCat/~/Steri-Strip-Skin-Closure?N=4326+3294631226&rt=rud

Butterfly bandage concept gets its PhD. Used for much more than description
describes, replaced a super glue technique by which I once swore. Longest
possible, real world wounds are never clean and dry, more often you need
the extra to reach dry, intact surfaces to adhere.

Obviously some gauze 2x2s and 4x4s, but my top dressing closure favorite
is:
http://www.vitalitymedical.com/coban-self-adherent-wrap.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products&feed_special=google&gclid=CJ3DvLumuMECFTMQ7AodencAqA

Beats tape by miles and since its always knees, elbows (bendy parts) that
get torn up first in a bike wreck. It closes up and holds your wound
dressing application so that it is rideable. Horse people, you know this as
Vetwrap.

For when the incident result will need more than a bandage:
http://www.sammedical.com/products/sam-splint/

Useful to support for ortho injuries from a sprain to fracture. Takes
little space, weighs less, beats taking your hatchet into the woodlands to
harvest natural splinting for which you probably don't have binding
materials unless you start tearing your jersey into strips.

These few things so very limit the number of items to have for immediate
care. Gloves and alcohol wipes for sure, and if you're likely to be afar,
some packaged cleansing agent-soaked gauze to get mother nature and road
debris out of any wound you hope to close. You're not sterile out there, so
a water bottle to do a quick pressure wash of debris before antiseptic
wiping is awesome (alcohol wipe the nozzle).

Think ahead if you pack this stuff, if you don't feel like they offer a
natural series of steps to the sort of injuries you'll expect, they'll do
no one any good. Mentally rehearsing your response to wounds given the kit
you've assembled will help. Step one is always a silent  "I can do this".
This has been true in my Scouting, military, and medical situations.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh