Andy makes some great suggestions, i know this started as a question around
hatchet injuries but i would push everyone to carry a minimal first-aid
kit.  I speak about this from experience, last year i was riding back from
errands through a small park that included a wooden bridge crossing.  There
had been some moisture, the wood was slick and at an angle.  I was sloppy,
inattentive and the front wheel washed out from under me, i ended up
hitting my forehead/temple onto the handlebar.

I'm pretty sure i had a mild concussion as i don't remember anything from
hitting the bar to standing (yes, standing up, straddling the bike) a few
feet away from bridge.  Luckily i was wearing some beefy eye-glasses which
took most of the hit, but i had a cut on my temple (it only took 5
stitches) that would not stop bleeding.  By luck i had stopped for takeout
on the way home and had a stack of napkins that i could hold to my face.
 But that required walking the bike about a mile home with one hand while
holding the bleeding down.

I now make a point to carry a first-aid kit on all of my bikes.  I'd also
suggest a few latex gloves, because even if you find someone to help you,
it's a little uncomfortable to be presented with a lot of blood.