I don't live in Silicon Valley.  However, in the Reno/Tahoe areas we have
multiple club rides that are going to be made up of the types of kits/bikes
you mention.  But that is only a snapshot of the type of riding those
people do.  That may be the perfect set up for a fast road ride of 30-50
miles with a bunch of club racer types on a Saturday morning.  On Sunday
morning maybe they are grabbing their Fargos and doing a multisurface
ride.  I certainly see that in the many people I know in the bike
community.  Or maybe they are grabbing golf clubs and getting kitted out
for a different type of recreation with different group of friends.  They
are different horses in the stable and the type of ride you decide to use
them on may determine a different kit/setup.  I find people way to quick to
judge on the list when they look at another rider on a carbon bike in Lycra
and assume that person was duped by a bike shop into pretending to be Chris
Froome.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying it feels an
awful lot like self-righteousness and it troubles me.

Now if you want to judge someone for eating pet food....  ;-)

Addison Wilhite, M.A.

Academy of Arts, Careers and Technology <http://www.washoeschools.net/aact>

*“Blazing the Trail to College and Career Success”*

Educator: Professional Portfolio <http://addisonwilhite.blogspot.com/>

Blogger: Reno Rambler <http://reno-rambler.blogspot.com/>

Bicycle Advocate: Regional Transportation Commission, Bicycle Pedestrian
Advisory Committee
<http://www.rtcwashoe.com/public-transportation-22-124.html>