I was in my early 40's  when I returned to biking.  The LBS in San
Francisco didn't try to sell me a race bike, but it was clear that they
thought if I didn't get a road/race bike, then I needed a Mountain Bike. I
bought a Kona Fire Mountain and didn't really ride it much either in the
Bay Area or in the Twin Cities where I've lived for the past 12 years.
Then, when I was in my late '40's, I saw my first Riv:  an Atlantis with
m'bars and old first generation Baggins panniers.  I fell in love.  Crawled
around the bike on my hands and knees in love.  I googled Riv.  I poured
over the website.  I went to Riv when I visited the Bay Area.  More in
love.  My wise partner said, "if you (mostly) commute to work on your
current bike, then that would justify a Riv."  I rode my Kona through the
year, in 90 degrees, in snow, in glorius weather...and then I got a Saluki
in 2006.

I'm a rider now.  I'm a rider again—something I hadn't been since I was
18.  My Riv's, especially the audacious custom, feel like they are a part
of me.

Even through I don't have one, the Atlantis brought me into the fold and
Grant's writing, whenever and wherever I encountered it, enabled me to
change my mindset and my way of being in the world to include bicycles.
What a gift.

I don't care what others do or ride or wear.  I just want others who may be
in some way like me to have the same possibility of awakening.  Sometimes
they do need that mouse squeaking above the roar of the waterfall.  I did.

-rcw