Alan, I bought my Rambouillet (orange) just for that use, using an invite
on a cross country ride as an excuse to move on from my RB-1. Plenty of
conversation with Grant et al at Riv HQ.

I convinced the others not to get carried away with the self-supported
concept as it would have dictated new bikes and a lot of super lightweight
and compact gear to buy. I proposed spending that money on cheap motels and
diners across the country so we could mingle among locals rather than be
isolated, out at a campsite.

I headed out with a B-17, SKS fenders, three bottle cages, Carradice Nelson
Longflap and a Bagman support under it. Also had the bligatory odometer,
battery head and tail lights. More importantly, I headed out the night
before meeting my colleagues in Yorktown, VA (My new bike didn't arrive
until 4 pm that evening). I ranged probably 18-35 pounds, all rear load on
that trip. Bike performed beautifully. In colder, wetter weather I added a
bar bag on the front for Riv Rally East in 2012 on the Great Allegheny
Passage. I've done that in parts and completely on the same bike.

Terrain? Straight up and down in Appalachia, flat and long days in the
midwest, more hills in MO, disappearing roads, gravel mud and question in
SE Kansas...a bit of everything. Since then I've been on snow-covered
trails, steep hills along the three rivers here and the very convenient and
interconnected rail trails of packed limestone. I rode 28c tires across the
country and currently have Continental "32s" which are more like 29 when
measured. All good.

My commuter is a Disc Trucker, specifically for the more lumbering handling
giving confidence in the darkness, stoutness for unexpected potholes and
bumps, and ability of discs to work in the most unfortunate of winter
precipitation (more due tonight). I wouldn't choose it for a spirited trip
across several hours or counties, specifically why I bought the new Ram.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh