I just disassembled, cleaned, and packed the Ram frame and discovered for
the first time in 2 years that it has a 3d set of water bottle cage braze
ons on the underside of the down tube.

As to weight: I used mine largely as a grocery bike, and I know it handles
30 lb in the rear, on a stiff rack -- Fly, in my case -- with aplomb. I've
even carried 45 lb in a *single* rear pannier (bought more heavy stuff than
I had planned for) and, while the bike waggled and tended to swerve to the
loaded side during transitions from sitting to standing, it was, that
apart, surprisingly docile.

My Ram carried heavy rear loads better than my custom, which has longer
chainstays, for what that's worth.

I daresay that with 30 lb evenly distributed in the rear and 10 or 20 lb
evenly distributed in front, you'd have a very nice handling tourer.

Of the many, many bikes I've used for heavy rear grocery loads, the Ram is
up there with the other one that stands out as exceptional, and it was,
oddly enough, a lightweight all 531 1973 Motobecane Grand Record.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Greg J <gregkj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Late to the discussion, but my wife and I rode down from San Francisco to
> Santa Barbara a few years ago, and she was on her Ram. We rode at a
> leisurely pace, stopping at motels on the way.  As I recall, she had a
> Riv/Carradice front bag and a set of rear panniers (although could have
> been a Carradice Nelson). We had no issues, not even a flat, and it was a
> great trip.  So I would not worry about whether the Ram is an optimal light
> tourer, though it is close.  At that time, we probably used 28s.
>
> Also, FYI, her early Ram (orange) is now wearing Jack Browns, but no
> fenders.
>
> Greg
>
> On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 7:57:10 AM UTC-7, alan lavine wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and experiences.  It confirms my
>> belief that the Ram is perfect for my plans.  Can anyone get some Spring to
>> the NE ?
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Tom Goodmann <tgoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, all, for a discussion that confirms my current effort to buy a
>>> Ram frame and fork. I've been looking for a Heron Road, enjoying a Heron
>>> Touring model already (though not as carefully built up as yours, Olof
>>> Stroh).  I got no response to my replies to a CL post for a 58 Heron Road,
>>> but am now after a 60 Ram, getting ready to move on from an RB-T, as I
>>> think the Rambouillet will fit me better.  I plan to build it up lightly
>>> for longer local rides, anticipating the flexibility that it shares with
>>> other Rivs. Now, to close the deal!  --Tom (Miami, FL)
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>  --

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. *Aristotle

*The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. *Dante