On the Sweetpea, I just switched from a Tiagra to this one to this
one: http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/d11.htm
Test ride around a bunch of blocks with hills and gravel went well.
 Friction, shifts cleanly.  Sugino triple/Phil Wood bb.

The Riv has the same Sugino triple with a Shimano-something bb, and is
using a venerable old Deore LX (2001?) front derailleur.  It also has no
issues at all.