I agree with others. Try them at different pressures before giving up on
them. IME, larger volume tires are more sensitive to pressure/feel
relationship. That's a good thing as you can adjust them as needed for what
road surface you're on. Typically I feel faster on gravel with a lower
pressure, slightly higher pressure for paved roads.
My experience is limited to similar 650b tires and 35mm Paselas, not
specifically Barlow Pass tires (though they are on my short list once
Paselas and Resist Nomads wear out).
David
Chicago