I was in the same situation as the OP with my proto Rom in that the trusty 105
began to notch after X years.   I've used CK and VO headsets on other builds,
but I gave the IRD needle bearing one from Riv a try.  It installed very nicely
and once I cleaned the protective grease off and relubed the bearings, the
handling improved markedly.  I've never experienced shimmy on any of my bikes,
front loaded 650'ers and featherweight racers, so I can't comment on the impact
of the needle bearings, but the IRD works a treat.  PS: you might need an extra
spacer switching from 105 to the IRD given the slight difference in stack
height.