Anne-

There are two sizes of inserts for the Orlieb clips; ensure you're using
the ones that fit your rack tubing.  One size fits the Nitto rack on my Riv
perfectly, the other size fits the Tubus on my KOM.

As for the rattle; I added a rubber spacer to the rack to make the bottom
more secure (I wrapped an innertube scrap and secured it with a zip tie). I
positioned the bottom clip near the rear corner of the rack, and put the
spacer near the front corner.  That makes the pannier secure at four
corners.

Tim