Anne:  First of all you're my HERO!!!  Please make sure you post photos of
your epic ride (as often as possible :).

I am a fan of all bike bags... I have saddlebags, panniers, rack, handlebar
and frame bags... NO SUCH THING as a bad bike bag, in my opinion.

That said, I generally prefer a saddlebag, as they generally-speaking
enable one to ride in tighter space than panniers typically allow.

BB