>If you want a more expansive style of touring, the bikepacking seatbag
isn't big enough.

My next problem is how to stop the Ortliebs from being so rattly on the
rack. Those stupid little >inserts fall out or break, and then the pannier
is noisy in off-road touring. --

Dear Anne,

A bikepacking seatbag, a bikepacking frame bag, and a bikepacking front bag
just squeaks into (my) ultralight long-distance bikepacking range, but I
considered a 20lb dry weight heavy back when I fastpacked. I generally use
a handlebar bag + front panniers on roads, and I've got plenty for
expansive living in the summertime. I can even just squeak into a Nelson
Longflap + my 25N+1 bag (my nylon handlebar bag that's 1" taller than a
Berthoud GB25) in the summer, but don't ask me to drive the great divide
trail on that setup--not enough water storage for the southern portions,
and I really want a bug-proof shelter for the northern tier. Way too much
for a 1200K, though (I fit into a GB 25 pretty handily for that distance on
roads).

A gumboots engineer's solution for the rattly ortlieb panniers: tape. Yep,
pad out the rack to the I.D. of the ortlieb mounting hooks. I like flue
tape, as it is mostly aluminum, and won't creep much due to load, though
I'm interested in others' solutions here.

Best,

Will
William M. deRosset
Fort Collins, CO