Vacationing in Whistler, this morning I went on a bike ride with my daughter on
rental "valley bikes", i.e., entry-level Giant MTB-shaped objects with placebo
suspension forks. In Whistler Village we happened upon the Crankworx Demo/Expo
plaza, and the kind folks at the Giant tent let us borrow some fancy new
genuine MTBs which we took to the nearby Lost Lake trails for a couple hours.
My Giant Reign Advanced Enduro Shred Sled was festooned with the new Shimano XT
M8000 gruppo including the 1x11 drivetrain shared by the Blug Hunq. The
shifting and braking were superb. If you can live with the limited gear range,
1x11 is nice. For really steep climbs, however, 34x40 is not low enough for me.
On my personal 650b MTB with SRAM 1x11, I typically use a 30 tooth chainring
and a 10-42 cassette. The new XT cassette does come in an 11-42 flavor.

David G of San Diego