Here are my latest thoughts:

We are looking at this wrong.  Although damage could happen from
overloading and/or falling over when the kickstand is deployed, I think the
real issue is simply the weight of the double-legger itself.  It weighs
25.6 oz, whereas, the single only 9.2 oz.  The double-legger weighs almost
three times as much.  I think the damage described in this thread is
related to the kickstand plate supporting the weight of the double-legger
while riding; not while parked and sitting stationary.  And this is why
Rivendell is now warning us to use the top support plate.  It takes the
burden of supporting the weight while riding off the plate and spreads it
across the top of the two chainstays.

Furthermore, the kickstand plate is an integral part of the frame.  If you
look at any other bicycle you will see a cross member of some sort in place
of a plate.  Theoretically, the plate may be stronger because it is wider
but that is beside the point.  Some kind of cross member support is
necessary in this location.  If the kickstand plate were to become detached
from one of my chainstay's I would consider the frame broken and would not
continue to ride until it was fixed.  And, if the kickstand plate was
deformed I would think the frame could be considered bent, and if nothing
else out of alignment.

These are just my thoughts.  Hopefully Riv will share theirs.

Matt