My own practice with kickstands is to put them on beaters and leave them
off "nice" bikes; the Sam Hill was somewhat in between. With the former,
I've happily "indented" the stays where the clamps bite down and thought
that it helped keeps the stand from rotating. That said, I've never had a
problem (besides denting the stays) with a kickstand mount damaging a tube,
and this after several years of loading and careless use; all of which says
something about the strength of thick wall, pot metal frames.

Of course, I've also cheerfully more than once used a hammer to reshape the
right chainstay to accommodate a crankset I wanted to use.