Upon visual inspection of my 2012 Sam Hillborne and my wife's 2012 Betty
Foy, both Taiwanese built, both appear to have the "unstout" plate.  Not a
term I ever thought would ever be associated with anything Rivendell.

Before removing my single legged kickstand, I experimented this week and
pretended it wasn't there.  What I found is that kickstands are very very
convenient.  It'll take a little getting use to, especially loading and
unloading, but the worse was on the two occasions I took my bike into a
business.  Neither of these places mind me bringing the bike inside but
they prefer I leave the bike at Customer Service and not wheel it around
the store.  On both occasions I deployed the kickstand because I felt bad
leaning it up against their counter, wall, display etc. and possibly
damaging something.  Funny thing is I've been riding bikes my whole life
and other than briefly decades ago never had a kickstand.  Now I'm not sure
I can live without it.  As of now my plan is to remove the kickstand but I
think I'll continue to experiment a bit more.

Matt