Since I got excellent advice on my XO-3 tire questions last week I'll put a
slightly different one up today regarding the Bombadil... I'm already
pretty sure what I am looking for and am just caught in some paralysis by
analysis and/or sticker shock.  Primary purpose for this tire set would be
to augment the 2.25" Nobby Nic's which are awesome offroad but to noisy
on-road.  So the Bomba isn't getting any commuting use w/ the current
tires.  The candidates;

1. Compass Switchback Pass 650bx48mm; Reg or EL ($63/$84)  That isn't a
typo, the EL 48's cost $12 more a pair than the EL 42's do... I guess b/c
they are tubeless compatible.  $168 for a set of (i'm sure) amazing
tires.... $168.

2. BG Rock-n-Road 650Bx43mm ($57)  I've been wanting to check these out for
a while, even had considered them for the Saluki before settling in on the
38mm Parimoto's instead.  I'm already rocking the BG Canti's on the
Bombadil so it almost seems right.  I'm a little worried about road noise
but many people report that isn't an issue.  Seems like a perfect C&O and
when needed singletrack option to complement a great paved trail option.

3. Big Ben 650Bx50mm Active/Performance ($25/50)  I've ridden the Little
Big Ben's and Big Apples and enjoy them both, not sure I've personally
sampled the 'active' line so I'm not sure how much you give up (other than
half the price) w/ the heavier rubber compound.  Seems like an awesome
Bombadil tire as it fits the clearances pretty much spot on.

4. Panaracer Quasi Moto 650Bx2.0 ($35 on amazon!) I was considering this
more before getting the Nobby Nic's as it seems more offroad focused than
my previous three options... it remains in consideration primarily becuase
it's got a great price tag and it was one of the original 650B offerings
that fits the horizontal TT Bomba's clearances perfectly.

I had already reconciled the cost of a new set of Compass tires before the
switchback pass came out even (a little bit) higher and put me back into
consideration mode.  No one (including me) seems disappointed with their
investments in light-supple-hi volume tires but man I am feeling the
sticker shock.

Pretty awesome to have so many good options in so many different tire
sizes!!