I love Jan's tires but wow $168 is pretty breathtaking.

The 4 tires on my car cost $330 out the door with mounting, balancing, tax
and road hazard warranty. So about the same per tire, but I'm pretty sure
Compass expects you to mount and balance your own tires, and no road hazard
warranty is implied.  The UTQG of the car tires is 420-A-B and I expect
them to last 40,000 miles or so.  They balanced well and are smooth at
speeds up to 95 mph or so.  Don't find a need to go faster than that,
actually going 95 was inadvertent in the first place, but anyhoo....

Maybe I should get the new(er) Pari-Motos instead...supposedly the tread is
thicker than the older ones.  Wire bead, but beggars can't be choosers...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panaracer-Pacenti-27-5-X-1-50-650B-Pari-Moto-Wire-Bead-Black-/191600794402?hash=item2c9c4c1b22

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Tony DeFilippo <vpi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since I got excellent advice on my XO-3 tire questions last week I'll put
> a slightly different one up today regarding the Bombadil... I'm already
> pretty sure what I am looking for and am just caught in some paralysis by
> analysis and/or sticker shock.  Primary purpose for this tire set would be
> to augment the 2.25" Nobby Nic's which are awesome offroad but to noisy
> on-road.  So the Bomba isn't getting any commuting use w/ the current
> tires.  The candidates;
>
> 1. Compass Switchback Pass 650bx48mm; Reg or EL ($63/$84)  That isn't a
> typo, the EL 48's cost $12 more a pair than the EL 42's do... I guess b/c
> they are tubeless compatible.  $168 for a set of (i'm sure) amazing
> tires.... $168.
>
> 2. BG Rock-n-Road 650Bx43mm ($57)  I've been wanting to check these out
> for a while, even had considered them for the Saluki before settling in on
> the 38mm Parimoto's instead.  I'm already rocking the BG Canti's on the
> Bombadil so it almost seems right.  I'm a little worried about road noise
> but many people report that isn't an issue.  Seems like a perfect C&O and
> when needed singletrack option to complement a great paved trail option.
>
> 3. Big Ben 650Bx50mm Active/Performance ($25/50)  I've ridden the Little
> Big Ben's and Big Apples and enjoy them both, not sure I've personally
> sampled the 'active' line so I'm not sure how much you give up (other than
> half the price) w/ the heavier rubber compound.  Seems like an awesome
> Bombadil tire as it fits the clearances pretty much spot on.
>
> 4. Panaracer Quasi Moto 650Bx2.0 ($35 on amazon!) I was considering this
> more before getting the Nobby Nic's as it seems more offroad focused than
> my previous three options... it remains in consideration primarily becuase
> it's got a great price tag and it was one of the original 650B offerings
> that fits the horizontal TT Bomba's clearances perfectly.
>
> I had already reconciled the cost of a new set of Compass tires before the
> switchback pass came out even (a little bit) higher and put me back into
> consideration mode.  No one (including me) seems disappointed with their
> investments in light-supple-hi volume tires but man I am feeling the
> sticker shock.
>
> Pretty awesome to have so many good options in so many different tire
> sizes!!

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!