The Cheviot also only comes in three sizes. I am getting a 52 Clem(entine).
I don't think it's a matter of "making the 52 work," despite the fact that,
at 5'10" and with a seat height around 74cm,  I normally ride 58-60cm
frames (I do tend to set my upright townie rides 1-2cm lower, legs just
seem to like it that way). Because the frame itself is already designed to
get bars high, you are starting from a different base point. The design of
the frame makes the bicycle work for a wider range of riders. Note also the
generous overlaps between sizes. I could just as easily ride the 59,
according to the Clem brochure. Arggh. Critical Decisions to Be Made. Life
is full of them.

Perhaps somewhat ironically, with the 52cm, I will be showing more like
what is these days considered the norm in seat post exposure, rather than
the fistful/French fit on most of my bikes. Regarding the handlebars, I
suppose the stem will be a bit more exposed, but, again, due to the design,
not much more than on my regular bikes. As to what is dorky, these days
when I see a non-lean, maybe a bit less than graceful rider in full pro kit
pedaling $6000 dollars worth of skinny-ass bike down the road going nowhere
and back, dorky is a handy adjective to have lying around. Sporting civvies
astride my black Clem(entine), I will cut a proletarian, convivial figure
as I go about my chores, pleasures, and visitations.

By way of intro, I am a long time iBob member, formerly of NYC, now
residing in the Hudson Valley. For a little while in the early nineties I
published a regional cycling publication. For a little while in the early
aughts I published a cycling website. I ordered a 52cm black Clementine
when a few became re-available. Many of my bicycles are festooned with 1-5
items purchased from Rivendell (not including clothing worn while on a
bike). I've never owned a Rivendell, though I came close once when I almost
traded a plum-colored Japanese Bridgestone Atlantis for an orange Rambouillet.
The P.C.J.B.A. eventually made its way to Walnut Creek, and into a Riv
Reader from what I understand.

I am not a Riv fan boy, but I do confess to having one bicycle with just
the tattered remains of handlebar tape, and I use a dab of regular soap on
my pits in lieu of deodorant (thanks for the tip, GP!) I also believe long
chainstays will be more useful during the zombie apocalypse than 7/4/7 top
tubes. But best to have at least one or two of each meanwhile.

Although I have kind of fallen for my latest commuter build, a sky blue
1979 Le Tour mixte, (Riv items; mirror, handlebars, tail light, two fish
water bottle holder [on ocassion], back o' bike bags in gray) and I am
generally not a new bicycle kind of guy, I am completely stoked to get my
mitts on my Clementine.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O7NFJ5txFhs/VhnCXCPJvhI/AAAAAAAAFLw/8SxT608iO3U/s1600/IMG_0184.JPG>

 On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 10:13:13 AM UTC-4, sprocket67 wrote:It
seems like with the limited frame sizes the handlebar rise has to be out of
proportion to fit a rider that might normally need a larger frame. If you
usually ride a 56 you'd have to make the 52 work.