Thanks for keeping the discussion public.  I'm a Roholoff true believer -
though I only have one - and am interested in hearing  input and wisdom
from this particular  group too.

To take a stab at some of your questions:

-  The shifting can become very hard if the cables are too tight.  Try
loosening them.  A lot.   It takes some getting used to and you'll think
you're being sloppy about your wrenching skills, but the precision doesn't
come from the shifter.  It's all indexed internally.

- I experience the same "between gears" feeling that you describe when
riding in extremely cold weather - like 10 degrees F or colder.   I know
the problem is that the oil bath is thickened and gummed up due to cold in
my case, but perhaps its thick and gummed up due to age or dirt in your
case?   If you haven't already, and since it's used, you should try a good
cleanse and replacement of the oil bath.  Use the Rohloff cleaning oil.
You can even use it to dilute the oil to make it thinner if it still
"sticks" between shifts, which is now actually the new factory-recommended
method for dealing with cold weather.

A question for you too:  I daydream about doing this to my quickbeam quite
often.   I see you used the long torque arm for rotation resistance.   By
any chance did you try or consider using the OEM axle plate, and using the
long dropout slot to provide the rotation resistance?