Another multi-Rohloff owner chiming in here. First, regarding shifting effort,
it definitely requires more effort than a derailer or a Shimano IGH, but the
reason is that you are feeling the effort required to change the gears in the
hub itself, as opposed to just advancing the indexing in the shifter. That is
to say, if you disconnect the shift box from the hub, the shifter will simply
freewheel back and forth through its range. If you feel a shift, you got a
shift, unlike the Shimano IGHs, which have a nice snappy click that only means
that the shift cable moved; sometimes you are left waiting for he shift to take
place. If, however, the shifting effort is as you describe, something is wrong
with the cable or the shifter. I recently replaced my cable and housing for the
first time after four years of touring and daily commuting, in addition to
replacing my original twist shifter with the 2nd generation shifter (I kept the
original as a backup), and the shift effort is reduced dramatically. It was
perfectly fine before, even though the cable was starting to fray - now it's
easier and has less free play.

As for momentary freewheeling, this should never happen and the hub is covered
by a lifetime warranty regardless of whether or not you are the original buyer.
Contact Cycle Monkey; they will either fix it or swap in a new (maybe
refurbished) gear mechanism into your existing hub/wheel. Of course, pausing
while shifting cures most problems, but the hub is designed to never freewheel.
And that's precicely why I'm so in love with my Rohloffs - the failure mode is
still a workable condition that would allow me to finish any trip. Very low
temperatures can cause the gear oil to gel which can result in freewheeling. In
those conditions, you are advised to run a 50/50 mixture of the normal oil and
the light cleaning oil. In extreme cold applications, you can run 100% cleaning
oil, but if the bike is brought into room temperature, some of the thin oil can
leak past the seals.

My first Rohloff was a Craigslist find, new in box with all the documentation
but between 5 and 10 years old. When I brought it to Cycle Monkey, they
commented that my serial number was in the 10,000s, whereas production was past
100,000 at that point. I originally had a wheel built and had the system
retrofitted on to my old Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo for touring with a Bob
trailer. This required both the long torque arm and the chain tensioner. Both
are so extremely well thought-out and executed that they never caused any
hassle whatsoever. I did have a bit of freewheeling and Cycle Monkey made a
small adjustment which fixed the problem.

Eventually, I realized that I wanted a fully rigid touring bike so I could run
front panniers, so I went with a Thorn Raven Tour. Without any insult intended
to Riv, it is a lot like a TIGed, Rohloff-specific Bombadil. It has a massive
twin-plate fork crown, a big, simple, eccentric bottom bracket so no tensioner
is needed, and an OEM 2 rear dropout which makes the torque arm unnecessary. I
have done everything on this bike. Thousands of miles of fully loaded and
self-supported tours including many miles of rough dirt roads and trails, plus
everyday commuting and grocery getting, and the occasional cargo extravagance,
like strapping a gas grill to the rear rack and riding it to a park for a
picnic, or a case of beer in bottles on the rear and a full load of groceries
in the panniers. In all that time, zero dropped chains, ever. Zero missed
shifts, ever. Total maintenance in four years is two oil changes and one
replacement of cables and housing.

The bike is a tank, however; around 39lbs without anything on the racks. So I
became obsessed with Surly's Troll, found a frame on Craigslist, and then found
the ultimate Craigslist miracle: a Rohloff-equipped mountain bike for $1100. I
bought it, removed the wheelset and drivetrain, converted it to single-speed,
and sold it for about $600. My Troll is now up and running with Rohloff
wheelset, 26"x60mm Schwalbe Big Apples, and Salsa Woodchipper bars. It's my
first self-built, self spec'd bike, and it is so fantastically versatile it
blows my mind. Slick tires and drop bars means long days on pavement are no
problem. The huge air volume means fire roads and singletrack are completely in
the realm of possibility with a little drop in air pressure. And the
reliability of the Rohloff means I just jump on and ride with no thought to
shifting, ever.

Daniel M
Berkeley, CA