Not a silly question at all, but, no, the tire pressure is fine.  I had
pumped it up to 60psi - my normal pressure - just that morning before
heading out.
It had occurred to me, too, that the frame might be cracked, but a quick
glance around didn't reveal anything unusual.  However, I'm planning to
stay off of it until I can localize the problem; not only do I not want to
risk making the issue worse, but the Bleriot's instability - slight though
it was - on a steep downhill portion of my ride home was a bit hairy.
Kevin