Kai-

I was thinking about that as I chopped that picture together (where would
the cable housings go?).

You're correct that MTB levers leave the cable about an inch from the bar.
I've never seen a flat-bar lever that has the cable exit along the bar.

In order to use interrupters with MTB levers, it looks like you'd have to
leave the cable housing exposed, and try to keep it offset from the grip
area.  Perhaps a spacer/standoff near the interrupter levers?

Tim