Inverse levers should work.  VO currently has Tektro modern-looking ones:
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/brakes/levers/tektro-rx4-1-silver-inverse-brake-levers.html
  They also have more vintage looking Dia-Compe versions, here:
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/brakes/levers/dia-compe-inverse-brake-levers-22-2.html

From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
[mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim Gavin
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2015 10:47 AM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [RBW] Re: Anyone order a Joe?

Kai-

I was thinking about that as I chopped that picture together (where would the
cable housings go?).

You're correct that MTB levers leave the cable about an inch from the bar.
I've never seen a flat-bar lever that has the cable exit along the bar.

In order to use interrupters with MTB levers, it looks like you'd have to leave
the cable housing exposed, and try to keep it offset from the grip area.
Perhaps a spacer/standoff near the interrupter levers?

Tim

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Kainalu