The symptoms you've described sounds like you're using cantilever levers
with Linear-pull brakes (that the Paul Motolites are, of course).
Double-confirm that the levers are truly what they purport to be? I know
that the RL520 levers will work with linear-pull brakes, as I have that a
combo with Shimano Deore V-brakes at the pointy end.