I'm sorta guessing that the reason they took the bag was because it
was attached to the saddle. It's known that you can resell brooks
saddles for actual money, whereas I doubt your off-the-shelf bike
thief would be able to sell a canvas saddle bag. So, I'm guessing that
it was easier to take the bag, than to leave it. I.e., easier to
detach from the bike once the saddle was free, than to detach from the
saddle. Amiright?