Years of fixed gear riding have made me largely indifferent to high gears,
so that even my derailleur bikes top out in the mid 80 inches -- top end
(and low end) sacrificed for close ratios in the middle; an ideal gear
pattern gives me ~5" jumps between 80" and 50", and the rest is gravy.

FWIW, I've hit 37 in a 75" fixed gear (46/15 X 24.5"), and 46 in a 96"
derailleur (48/12 X 24") gear (both at the bottom of hills; the 46 while
chasing an upstart Land Rover). OTOH, maximum lifetime whoo hoo top speed
was 50 mph, downhill and eastbound, with a howling, raging westerly, on a
mountain bike, coasting. On the preceeding uphill I was pacing a stray
cardboard box at ~ 20 mph.