Dear Eddie,

I don't want to be the one to pour tomato ketchup all over your
chocolate cake but let me quote from
http://www.rivbike.com/article/bicycle_making/the_big_picture

"All of our frames are lugged steel. Steel, because it's the best
material for frames, in terms of toughness, longevity, proportions,
repairability, and safety; lugged, because it's better to create a
joint with a low-stress sleeve of beautiful steel, than to merely melt
steel together, or even joint it with brass fillets.

You may personally prefer welded frames, or fillet-brazed frames, and
that's fine. We prefer them lugged, and so that's all we make."

Rivendells are lugged steel frames, there are lots of others who make
tigged steel frames, do it well and do it to a price point.  If you
look, you will find someone making exactly what you want, how you want
and at a price you can afford.  You cannot say that for any other
consumer durable.  How long this happy state of affairs will continue
in this present state of financial apocalypse, who can tell.  But if
there is something you want/need/desire and it's availalble now and
you have the money then buy it.  For it may not be available this time
next year.

Merry Christmas to all and thanks for all the wonderful emails that
have entertained me so much this past year.

George Millwood
Sydney, Australia where it has almost been too hot to ride this past
fortnight.