What goes around comes around. And kudos first to Grant -- do y'all think
it's accurate to say that he more than anyone else resisted, then reversed
the trend toward lighter, skinnier, more focused, and that Jan and the
others took their cue in part at least from him?

I do recall the voice crying in the wilderness in the mid '90s -- no one
else was making road bikes with clearance and more versatile performance
that are quite common now. (I know it is Jan who set the search for wider,
suppler tires in motion.)

Re: brakes: I recently swapped out a pair of Tektro Bigmouths or somesuch
for a pair of very nice, old Dura Ace single pivots. The reach is the same,
but man, the DAs clear 40, let alone 50, mm fenders so much better -- and
they stop as well.

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Paul G <pauldowg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most, if not all, of us who visit this group know that one of Grant
> Petersen's primary bicycle frame design goals is maximizing tire clearance
> to allow a rider the option for wider tires than typical production
> bicycles can fit. He has clearly explained this in multiple Reader issues
> as well on the website. Parallel to this, he has complained about how
> cycling mass media, such as Bicycling Magazine, misleads readers with
> information that is not really in the interest of most riders (excessive
> focus on performance and bike weight, general riding modeled after road
> racing, etc).
>
> The industry is gradually changing towards wider tires, but the road bike
> industry has been reluctant to move past short reach brakes.
>
> In this Bicycling Magazine article from Jan. 2016
> <http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/components/an-ode-to-long-reach-brakes>,
> the author not only admits the poor job the magazine has done in
> highlighting road bikes with more tire clearance and the benefits of more
> brake reach in bicycle design, but even suggests the Roadeo as a fat-tired
> (for road bikes) fendered road bike. Maybe there's still hope (sarcasm
> intended)!
>
> Have a nice ride!

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.* *(The cross stands motionless while the
world revolves.) *Carthusian motto

*It is *we *who change; *He* remains the same.* Eckhart

*Kinei hos eromenon.* (*It moves [all things] as the beloved.) *Aristotle