On 05/28/2016 06:36 PM, Trenker wrote:

I think that Skenry makes some valid points. If the idea is to “just ride,” then who cares what kind of bike someone else chooses?

Rivendells are really nice bikes. They are sturdy and good-looking and made to last. They are also expensive. I think when you buy something expensive there is a tendency to give it great reviews because it cost so much; for example, I got a pair of expensive shoes for weddings/funerals, and I felt great when I wore them. They even seemed to fit extremely well. But the cost of a shoe doesn’t have anything to do with how well it fits. I think when someone talks about “the ride” of a Rivendell they are showing some consumerism and elitism because the ride of a bike depends mainly on the tires and the fit of the bike.

Geometry doesn't matter? I don't think so. I'm not sure what you mean by "ride" is what everybody else means by the term. Neither the tires nor the fit of the bike will influence how the bike turns or how stable or maneuverable it feels. And I think you're wrong about "consumerism" and "elitism" in this context: Bleriots ride like Rivendells. This is beyond dispute. And yet, the Bleriot was relatively inexpensive, and hardly an "elitist" product as we understand "elitist". The same can be said for the Romulus, the low end no-frills Rambouillet. Yes these were not five hundred dollar department store bikes, but they surely weren't high-end bikes for the elite either. And the ride was instantly identifiable as "Rivendell" and stayed that way no matter whether you were using low end or high end tires, or whether the bike was a great fit or not.