I remember being told this by one of the technical people from Michelin
some 35 years ago at the east coast trade show - what is now Interbike in
Las Vegas. They knew back then that very high pressures gave you no
advantage. So this tendency for tire manufacturers in the past 30 years to
rate their tires with higher and higher pressures has always seemed odd to
me. But clearly, the public has been sold on the idea that higher pressure
is better, to the detriment of ride quality, performance, and the
durability of rims.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Jan Heine <hein...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In science, it's important that results are replicable - this means that
> anybody doing the same experiment must get the same results. I was excited
> to learn that recently, Joshua Poertner (formerly of Zipp, now of Silca)
> has replicated our results on tire pressure: Higher tire pressures don't
> make you faster on smooth pavement, and definitely are slower on rough
> surfaces. He apparently used the same rumble strip method as we did when we
> first quantified suspension losses.
>
> More about this is here:
>
> https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/06/14/suspension-losses-confirmed/
>
> It's exciting that what used to be highly controversial now is entering
> the mainstream. And I want to thank the listmembers who were open to these
> ideas long before anybody else.
>
> Jan Heine
> Editor
> Bicycle Quarterly